Oh no, they opened it!
A resident in Newcastle, Australia recently found a strange sac in their garden. Out of curiosity, they opened it a little to see what's inside only to find a nightmare. Hundreds of the country's most venomous spiders are happily moving.
Of course, they weren't so sure when they saw that as they're not specialists if anything. So, they promptly took it to Australian Reptile Park-- on the Central Coast of New South Wales, about an hour from Newcastle and Sydney--for further investigation.
Kane Christensen, head of spiders at the reptile park, only needed a few moments to finally identify what the strange sac is: an egg. From who, you ask? Australia’s most dangerous spider, the funnel web. But what makes it so dangerous?
Well, its venom would be one to be scared of, but what makes it a nightmare is its reputable aggression! Each of their eggs contains around 100 spiders.
However, as frightening as it may seem, the sac is a good news for the zoo as it's the only place in Australia that milks funnel webs for their venom, to make anti-venom. Yep, they'll be using them to develop life-saving drugs!
So, whenever you see anything strange, don't be afraid to explore but be careful! Who knows? Maybe you'll be the one to give what's needed for an antidote or even discover a new specie that you can personally name! Don't worry about the nightmares, it might pay off!
Get weekly science updates in your inbox!