Carbon monoxide poisoning doesn't really have a cure until now. The only remedy known is breathing in high-pressured oxygen. It all comes down to oxygen therapy and nothing else.
Carbon monoxide earned a moniker "silent killer" because its colorless, odorless, tasteless - almost to the point of being non-existent. You won't even know what hit you until you lose consciousness.
Carbon monoxide poisoning kills approximately 500 annually in the United States while 500,000 are rushed to the emergency room.
A new study by two biomedical scientists Ling Wang and Qinzi Xu at the University of Pittsburgh in Pennsylvania delivered 3% carbon monoxide (CO) for 4.5 minutes. That concentration is way too high that humans can get instantly killed when exposed to that amount. The mouse's blood pressure dropped sharply and heart rate became irregular.
The scientists injected the mouse with an antidote which they discovered accidentally from a previous, unrelated experiment.
The research team which was led by critical care physician Mark Gladwin was studying the functions of protein called neuroglobin which is found in the brain and retina. It binds oxygen and nitric acid to protect neurons in areas where oxygen supply is reduced. The team noticed that that the isolated neuroglobin molecules always had CO which is a natural byproduct of a hemoglobin breakdown.
“I thought this was bad news at the time, because we needed to get the CO off the neuroglobin in an extra experimental step,” Gladwin said.
Later on they've found out that there is no antidote available for carbon monoxide poisoning. The what was then an experimental roadblock became an only solution to the perpetual monoxide poisoning.
The scientists just had to mutate the neuroglobin so it can bind to CO 500 times faster than it binds to hemoglobin. Whereas for the mice which they added CO to, they gave it a shot of the pumped up neuroglobin through its kidneys. The mouse recovered quickly. They've repeated the experiment to more mice and in 5 minutes of CO exposure, 87% of the mice were saved with neuroglobin.
Mothers Are Keeping Remnants of Son’s Cells in Their Brain, Astonishing!
Lindell Weaver, a doctor who treats patients with high-pressure oxygen at Intermountain Healthcare in Salt Lake City says:
“This agent is phenomenal: It can rip carbon monoxide right off the hemoglobin.”
“The long-term effects of carbon monoxide are complicated, so just removing [it] might not be enough. But this agent could be life-saving if it’s administered immediately.”
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration promised to expedite their review on this treatment due to the fact that CO poisoning is a “serious unmet need.”
This treatment is found to work better, faster, and stronger.
I think I should just slip this on here. CO poisoning. Figure the CO.